San Diego International Airport (SAN)
History, Facts and Overview
(San Diego, California - CA, USA)
San Diego's aviation history began in 1927, when Lindbergh started his famous record-breaking transatlantic flight here. The following year the city opened its Municipal Airport, which also went by the name of the Lindbergh Field. In 1934, the airport gained its important international stature and began a series of commercial flights. By World War II, the US military forces were using San Diego's airport and made a series of changes, including adding a runway measuring almost 2,700 metres / 8,860 feet, to accommodate long-range bomber planes.
Jet-driven aircraft began serving San Diego International Airport (SAN) in 1960 and United Airlines charter flights linked US cities, such as Phoenix, Arizona. In 1967, the present Terminal 1 was completed and the popularity of pleasure and business trips to the city soon began to grow. This was followed by Terminal 2 in 1979 and the Commuter terminal in 1996. Two years later, Terminal 2 was extended to ease problems with overcrowding at peak times, costing around $230 million.
Cash machines are located throughout all of the three terminals at San Diego Airport and there are also bureau de change to be found within both terminals 1 and 2. Passengers will also find a good selection of shops in all terminals, selling a range of Californian souvenirs and wines. Popular airport shops include Express Connection, Global News, Images of California and the San Diego News Connection.
Many types of snack bars, coffee shops, cafés and restaurants are also available for passengers and their guests passing through San Diego Airport. A popular food court is located in Terminal 1, a Mexican restaurant and coffee shop in Terminal 2 East, and a pizza outlet and deli in Terminal 2 West. In addition, there are defibrillators in all terminals, a number of upscale airline executive lounges, and a lost property service in Terminal 2, the busiest terminal.